10 Tips for making Spring Cleaning Green & Fun
By Jennifer Moore
1. Out with the old. Most cosmetic products have a shelf life of less than a year. Can’t remember when you bought it? There’s a good chance it should be tossed.
2. Make it fun. Put on some upbeat music and enjoy yourself!
3. Go Floral. Spring is all about fresh growth. Add some hanging plants or fresh-cut flowers to your space.
4. Lighten up. As award-winning decorator Nate Berkus suggests, “put winter wools and heavy blankets in the linen closet and replace them with crisp white sheets and a lightweight duvet in your favorite color.” This is sure to make your entire mindset lighter and brighter.
5. Rally the troops. Spring cleaning can be a daunting task when you go it alone. Recruit the family for big tasks or divide and conquer.
6. Clean green. Use eco-friendly cleaning products or make your own. Check out “Green Baggin’ it,” for a list of green products in your neighbourhood.
7. Reuse. Throwing away the old stuff doesn’t mean breaking your budget buying new stuff. Find new uses for things you already have around the house.
8. One step at a time. Don’t get overwhelmed by how much you have to do. Instead, break it down into manageable tasks day by day.
9. It’s a workout. Cleaning can sometimes feel like a triathlon and the same rules apply.
- Stretch. It’ll increase your energy level and ensure you don’t strain yourself.
- Keep hydrated. This is a great time to get those 8-10 glasses a day.
10. Take time for yourself. Plan something in the evening you can look forward to. It’ll help budget your time and feel rewarding after your hard work.