Treat your tresses with ingredients found right in your pantry.
by Carly Brown
Is your hair feeling bogged down from all the products you use? Try this recipe for baking soda shampoo and vinegar conditioner. It’s an inexpensive way to keep your hair clean, and it gives natural shine while brightening your colour. As an added bonus, your hair will also be more manageable and dry faster!
Baking Soda Shampoo & Vinegar Conditioning Rinse
1/2 cup of baking soda
2 – 3 cups of warm water
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the baking soda and the warm water in clean bottle. Old shampoo bottles work really nicely.
- In the shower, wet your hair as you normally would, pour the baking soda mixture all over your head, and massage it into your scalp.
- Rinse thoroughly. The mixture won’t foam up like traditional shampoo, and will feel rather gritty so you’ll want to make sure you get it all out.
- Pour the vinegar rinse through your hair, and let it soak in while you continue your regular shower routine.
- Rinse your hair. Don’t worry about it smelling like vinegar, it can be rather unpleasant while you’re in the shower, but the smell won’t stay in your hair.
Remember, every person’s hair is different so you may have to tweak the amount of ingredients you use. Your hair will not smell much like anything once the process is done; however, you can always spray some perfume into it. Unlike traditional shampoos and conditioners, baking soda and vinegar don’t contain harsh chemicals. If you continue to use this mixture you won’t need to wash your hair as often, and it will help control the oils in your scalp. Baking soda and vinegar are an easy and affordable alternative, and will undoubtedly change your hair care routine.