A healthier take on gyros
By: Alexa Keeler
Makes 6-8 lettuce wraps
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp lemon peel
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
5 garlic cloves, peeled, chopped in half
olive oil, for brushing grill pan
1 large head iceberg lettuce
Tzatziki sauce, about 3/4 cup
3/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- Chop the onion and place in a food processor or Magic Bullet.
- Add peeled and chopped garlic cloves, oregano, lemon peel, cumin, salt and pepper. Chop until very fine.
- In a large mixing bowl, fold the puree into the ground beef until well combined.
- Form the meat mixture into spoon-sized balls. Spread olive oil over a pan and place meatballs. Cook well over medium-high heat, turning often (10-12 minutes).
- Cut the lettuce head into two halves. Break the leaves apart, making each lettuce wrap out of two leaves. Put 3-4 meatballs into each lettuce cup, top with Tzatziki sauce, and sprinkle with chopped tomatoes.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste and, if desired, finely chopped raw onion.